Friday, April 24, 2009

Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center

I am a member of the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. It allows me to visit the center throughout the year by just showing my membership card. I love checking on the animals and this is a great time of year to watch them. The summer brings lots of guests, in the winter and spring it is not uncommon for me to be the only one there.
You can find a variety of animals at the center including moose.

AWCC Moose
AWCC Moose
AWCC Moose
AWCC Moose

Caribou can also be found.

AWCC Caribou
AWCC Caribou

Muskox

AWCC Muskox
AWCC Muskox

Elk

AWCC Elk
AWCC Elk
AWCC Elk
AWCC Elk

Bison

AWCC Bison
AWCC Bison

There is even an eagle...although last 2 times I was there an owl was in the eagle cage.

AWCC Eagle
AWCC Eagle

My favorite, by far, are the brown bears. They are a blast to observe and when there are active make great photo subjects.

AWCC Brown Bear
AWCC Brown Bear
AWCC Brown Bears
AWCC Brown Bears
AWCC Brown Bear
AWCC Brown Bear
AWCC Brown Bear
AWCC Brown Bear

If you find yourself in the Portage area, you owe it to yourself to stop in to check out the wildlife. The center's website is: http://www.awcc.org/home.html

Mike

No comments: