Saturday, August 1, 2009

Juneau Waterfalls

I have been to Juneau twice this month. The first time was 5 days and it rained on us the entire time. Last week was much nicer...80 degrees and sunny...in Juneau. Nothing like Southeast Alaska on a clear day.

The last day of my first trip the rain slowed so I finally got my camera out. The light was poor so I headed to some waterfalls I knew about. These are Salmon Creek Falls just outside of Juneau. I was the only person there. I wish I would have had more time, but I had a plane to catch.

I used my ND8 filter which brings down the light 3 full stops. This allowed me to create long exposure photos without blowing out the highlights. This was my first try at long exposure HDR. All the photos in this blog are 3 long exposures combined and tonemapped in Photomatix.

Salmon Creek Waterfall

Salmon Creek Waterfall

Salmon Creek Waterfall

Salmon Creek Waterfall


Salmon Creek Waterfall

Ebner Falls is a little more work. Hiking up Preservation Trial with all my gear, including my heavy duty tripod, in 80 degree weather. We Alaskans are wimpy when it comes to heat.

Ebner Falls


Ebner Falls

Ebner Falls

I revisited Salmon Creek Falls on a nice day. The light was not that much different, it sits in a rain forest so not much light gets through.

Salmon Creek Waterfall

Salmon Creek Waterfall

Be sure to visit Juneau's waterfalls the next time you are there.

No comments: