Monday, September 21, 2009

Denali National Park

Every year the National Park Service gives out lottery tickets for people to drive into Denali. Last year I had great weather for the 90 mile drive to Wonder Lake. This year, it rained on me most of the day and the road was quite muddy. The drive is still wonderful, the scenery is spectacular even if Denali is obscured by clouds.

The road into the park

This is what most of the road is like. Incredibly, many people drove their cars deep into the park.

Valley Floor

Termination dust on those mountains! It won't be long.

Long, winding road
Grizzly dwarfed by the landscape

This bear was in the middle of the road as I came around a corner. He quickly moved away, it is amazing how fast they can move.

Weather moving in

I was hoping the weather would clear so I could capture an image of Denali. It was not to be.

Ptarmigan
Caribou
Caribou
Caribou trying to cross the road

This guy hung in there with his video camera. The caribou ended up taking a wide berth around him.

From the road

One of my favorite places on the road. Took a fantastic shot here last year.

Moose through the trees

Saw lots of moose, but I see them in my yard.

No comments: