Monday, September 14, 2009

Photographing Hatcher Pass

It is fall time and one of my favorite places to go is Hatcher Pass. It is well known for its winter activities as well, but for me autumn has the colors and light I appreciate.
Hatcher Pass itself can be driven in the summer, the gravel road extends from Wasilla to Willow. I usually do the drive at least once a year.
A few years ago the road was paved to Independence Mine. I would have like to see it remain a dirt road, a lot less traffic. People seem to be "discovering" Hatcher Pass, it gets more crowded every year. I went up to Reed Lakes Trailhead last week and could not get a parking spot.
Here are some shots from this past weekend. I was trying out my new $200 polarizer. The first two shots I used my ND8 filter to slow the water down and not blow out the highlights.

All photos are HDR and processed through Photomatix. I have an HDR tutorial here.

Little Su River
Little Su River
Just befor I got wet
Just before I got wet
Road to Independence Mine
Road to Independence Mine
Cabins near The Motherlode Lodge
Cabins near The Motherlode Lodge
Just off the road
Just off the road
MotherLode Lodge (looking pretty bad)
MotherLode Lodge (looking pretty bad)

Sure wish someone would buy the MotherLode Lodge. It is deteriorating quickly. It is a shame, I have spent many Easters, birthdays, weddings, Mother's Days and Christmas

No comments: