Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Photographing Homer, Alaska

Traveled to Homer this week, one of my favorite places and on the road system! Driving down the Seward highway is always a challenge, but when the mountain goats are out it is even harder.

This goat was a traffic stopper when it came close to the road. The goat is actually about 30 feet about the road. A whole group were higher up. If I would have had more time I would have gone for a hike.

Stopped at the Russian River when I saw some eagles high in the trees. As I was taking shots of the eagles, a black bear walked out of the woods.

The bear walked up and down the river several times across from me. Just upriver combat fishing was taking place. The bear was hunting for discarded carcasses from the fishermen.

Pulled into Homer on Sunday and it was raining. Monday afternoon the clouds parted and I got the camera out.

This is the famous Homer Spit. If you visit Alaska, Homer should be on your list.

Hiked along the Homer Spit and spotted a couple eagles. All but one were timid. One let me approach as he was cruising the beach for food during low tide. A couple times, he even came towards me.


I got lots of good shots and sometimes my 100-400mm lens was too big.

I believe the same eagle was on a piece of driftwood Tuesday. He was quite a traffic stopper as tourists pulled over to snap shots.

I sat and watched this guy as a raven swooped in and attacked him off and off for over an hour.

He acted as if nothing was going on even though the raven was actually striking him. I really enjoy watching eagles in their habitat.

Went hiking along the beach on Wednesday. Light was slightly better as I came across some more eagles.

This eagle was flying low over the beach looking for food opportunities. Watched him for a couple of hours until the sun went down. Sure beats sitting in a hotel room.


MIke

http://www.akphotograph.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alaska48/

No comments: