Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Photographing Juneau Alaska

I have been to Juneau dozens of times. The weather is always unpredictable and I end up packing rain gear, cold weather gear and dress in layers.

If you are lucky enough to be in Juneau while the weather is nice, there is no place like it. It is one of my favorite places to travel within the state. Apparently the cruise ship industry likes it also. There can be 3-5 ships in port at once. They even have to anchor a couple in the channel and ferry the passengers in.

This was shot last summer. The cruise industry brings a lot of visitors into Alaska.

One of the first things people do when they get here is shop. Downtown Juneau is full of jewelry stores and t-shirt shops. One of the second things they do is visit Mendenhall Glacier.

Mendenhall Glacier can be seen from the airport and is a must see when in Juneau. They have a nice visitors center and nicely maintained trails. This was taken last week.

Juneau has one main road out of town and it travels north 40 miles. I drove up it last week and had to stop along the way to take photos.

This is Auke Lake as the sun was rising.

The road dead ends at Echo Cove.

I hiked around Echo Cove for about 3 miles to get to Berners Bay. It was very peaceful, I was the only one in the parking lot. Just me and all the birds out there.

As I hike around a corner towards the bay, this is one of the views.

These mountains are a part of the range that surrounds Berners Bay.

Echo Cove finally gives way to Berners Bay.

I can't tell you how peaceful this was. I could sit and enjoy this view for hours.

Thor thought he would enjoy the view!!


Mike Criss

http://www.akphotograph.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alaska48/

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm happy to have found your blog; you take incredible pictures that are truly representative of the Alaskan life! Many thanks for your gift to the photography community.

I just moved to Alaska for graduate school, and am nursing the beginnings of a photo habit myself. :~) Thanks for the inspiration!!