Monday, March 9, 2009

Photographing the Iditarod (Ceremonial Start)

The Iditarod is here again. I have been following the mushers for a lot of years and enjoy both the ceremonial and restart portions of the race. The ceremonial start happens on Saturday in downtown Anchorage. It allows some close up opportunities to the mushers and their dogs.

iditarod-2009-19681
Ray Redington's lead dogs

The run is 11 miles through the trails of Anchorage. This allows you to stake out a spot on the trail for a photo op.

Martin Buser
Martin Buser
For this ceremonial start, the dogs must be slowed down. This shows Martin Buser with his Iditarider and handler. The Iditariders pay for the privilege to ride in the sled.
Sebastian Schnuelle
Sebastian Schnuelle

I liked Sebastian's hat. He was the Yukon Quest champion this year. He has someone trailing in another sled to slow his team. This is typical.

Jeff King
Jeff King

Jeff King had skis on and used his sled to push him through the course. He really looked like he was having fun.

Lance Mackey
Lance Mackey

Lance Mackey has been the Iditarod champion the last 2 years. He has a great shot at a 3-peat!

Mike

http://www.akphotograph.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alaska48/


1 comment:

Lillie said...

I just discovered your blog - I'm sure I'll become an avid follower. I was raised in Chugiak, but after 30ish years in AK, my man got a job in dry, brown, hot, UT, and here we've been almost 5 years now. So, I'd like to live vicariously through you. I love the pics I've seen on your blog so far, and I can't wait to see more of my favorite place on earth. Thanks!